Santorini Castle Tour
Travel back in time to the medieval years of Thira. A tour not to be missed by architecture and history enthusiasts.
Duration: 1.5 hours
This tour is suitable for
- Travelers who would to see incredible architecture and enjoy unique atmospheres.
- People who would like to avoid the crowded streets of the island and experience the peaceful Atmosphere of Santorini’s fairytale.
- People who are interested in Guided Walks.
- All fitness levels and ages, with plenty of stops for photos.
We will pick you up for the castle tour from your hotel and head to the castle, where where more than 500 years of history are waiting for you! The castle is perched high above the village of Emporio, just 12 km of Fira, the capital of the island.
In this tour you will hear stories about slaves and pirate invasions, including Barbarossa and his hidden treasures. Our expert guide will tell you about our local legends passed down by word of mouth, from generation to generation.
During the walk, you will get lost with us in the labyrinth-like defensive paths and get to know about the building architectures, the way of life inside and outside the fortress. You will also visit the local attractions, including the churches of Thira, (not the classic – touristic blue dome ones).
This is not a typical guided tour. It is a strictly private walk for small groups or families. You will have the opportunity to discuss with your private guide about the area”s history, ask questions and explore the picturesque fortress in a fun, mysterious and interesting way.
Did you know that? During the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries the Aegean islands and the Cyclades in particular were plagued by piracy. Records mention that the population of Santorini had dramatically decreased while the inhabitants sought selter as far as Crete in order to save themselves. In addition to this, in order to defend themselves from the pirate invasions, the local people erected fortified buildings…
- 1-4 Guests: € 300 Euros. For larger groups, please let us know and we will send you a quote.
- A paypal deposit of € 25 (Euro) is required to secure the date. Kindly keep the receipt which verifies the successful payment.
- You will pay the balance in cash after the end of the tour.
- Credit cards are accepted with an extra fee of 4% of the total tour cost.
Deposits will be full refunded
- If you cancel the tour 3 days before.
- Or if the ship or the aeroplane won’t arrive to Santorini because of the weather.
- Collection from the airport, sea port, your hotel, villa or private apartment.
- Local expert guide + Private vehicle. If you want a language other than English please let us know during the booking procedure.
- Road tolls, gas and parking
- All tour related planning and advice, all taxes and VAT
- Tickets to attractions (if any), but can be purchased on the spot
- Gratuities (optional)
- Personal expenses